A long time ago I created a TON of blocks for what was going to become my ugly string quilt.
I quickly realized that entirely too much work goes into making a quilt for me to purposely make an ugly one. And my blocks weren’t turning out as nice as I hoped (ie. nothing was lining up because I have no patience).
So instead, I used the blocks I’d made to make potholders using this tutorial.
In case you’re extremely curious as to how to make string blocks, I used this tutorial to create these blocks.
EDIT (December 2011): If you’re going to make potholders that work, be sure to use Insul-Bright instead of regular batting.