I wrote a menu with a variety of goals for myself in 2017. At the time, I liked the idea of having many things from which to choose to do. As the year progressed, the amount of goals felt daunting—even though I never set out to accomplish all of them. It’s nice to have options but I think next year I want to focus on one or two big goals per category.
2017: My Year in Fitness
2017 Fitness Goals
The list below is the original list I wrote in 2016. I crossed off items throughout 2017 as I decided I no longer wanted to work on them.
- Make fitness part of the daily routine. ✅
- I walk to work, so most days I don’t have to think about fitness. The last two weeks I’ve been on vacation and it’s been FREEZING outside. Fitness has not been a part of my daily routine, but most of the things on my regular daily routine haven’t been on it these last several days, so…
- Try to hit my daily step goal more often. ✅
- I hit my step goal 90-95% of the time. I take part in challenges with friends, which help a lot with my desire to hit my goal.
Keep up the dog walking routine.Sadly, there is no more dog to walk.
- Run more often ✅
- Sort of check? I started 2017 with a race, and ran 2-3x per week on average. In October I tried to run a mile a day (on average) but fell a few miles short when my ankle started to act up again toward the end of the month.
Set monthly running goalsThis leads to me trying to ramp up my running too fast, which always leads to injury. Make yoga part of my fitness.
- Strength train regularly (2-3x a week).
- I still need to work on this. I started doing the LiveFit workout in November, but am not sticking to a schedule. I’m using the workouts as a plan for when I do get to the gym. When real life starts again I plan to get to the gym more frequently—not because it’s the new year, but because most of the time I work out outside (running, hiking, walking), and it’s too effing cold for that now.
- Stretch daily.
- I really have done better at this. I stretch when I get up in the AM and I stretch at my desk at work when I find a minute to do so.
Restart chiropractic and massage therapy.This requires $$$. Maybe a 2018 goal for after we replenish our savings from buying a house?
- I really want to restart both this year. I think I’ll start with chiro since I should have coverage for this through work and I have a chiropractor I like here (although he’s a major drive away from where I am!).
How I moved in 2017
- Ran an 8-mile race with my friend Heather in March.
- Ran 2-3x a week for most of the year (and 1 mile a day every day in October).
- Started the Jamie Eason LiveFit trainer again to get a base strength going. Not being so rigorous about it this time but am using it to rebuild base muscle so that I can continue to run when I want to. All the injuries I get are traced back to having a weak core, glutes, and hamstrings.
- I’ve been stretching more often but not as much as I should.
- I did massage a couple of times this year but would like to do it more. It’s way expensive, unfortunately.
- I hit my step count almost daily and average out to daily when you count bigger days.
How did you move in 2017?