This month I aim to:
- Add three 20-minute sessions of vigorous cardio once a week (running, biking, other heart-pumping activities).
- Strength train two times a week. Each session should include six exercises. I don’t remember where I read the rule of thumb as six different exercises, but this rule has proven its worth to me, so I’m keeping it.
- Do 15 minutes of yoga each week. Ideally, add a few moves after the vigorous cardio.
Here’s what I did each day.
- Walked for 60 minutes over lunch.
- Walked for 60 minutes after work
- Run 20 minutes
- Strength trained (legs + chest + abs)
- 5 minutes of yoga outside after my run I found a lovely landscaped area on campus that I’ve started using as my post-run yoga studio.
- Hiked for 60 mins at Willow River
- Unexpected rest day due to an allergic reaction. I haven’t done a food allergy update for a while, but I can eat most of my original list of allergens now (quinoa and tomato are off-limits, but have tried to integrate tomato back in slowly). My best guess on the culprit: sunflower seeds. I think they’re cross-reactive with my seasonal allergies.
- Ran 20 minutes in the rain
- 5 minutes of yoga outside after my run
- Walked 60 mins over lunch
- Walked 60 mins after work
June 14—(today’s plan to finish this week’s goal… same as last Wednesday!)
- Walk for 60 minutes over lunch.
- Run 20 minutes
- Strength train
- 10 minutes of yoga
What to work on next week
I need to work on non-running cardio activities. I hate being stuck to a machine, but I think I should try doing a different motion than running and walking to get to different muscles. Last week I started lifting before doing cardio and I had more motivation to lift (and enjoyed it!) because I wasn’t mentally exhausted from running and walking. I’m going to stick to lifting before cardio and see how that goes.