What’s the point of setting a goal if you never look at the progress? None! So here’s my progress report for the Publish a Book goal I set this month.
I’ve written 14,000 words this month.
- This number includes EVERYTHING I’ve written (even this blog post)
- I set out to write 2K words a day … I’m 16K shy of that 🙁
I aimed to set a daily writing habit.
- I decided I would write SOMETHING every day. Doesn’t matter what it is.
- Story ideas
- Blog posts
- Research notes
- Free-flow text
- I started strong, but got sick last week, and had no interest in doing anything at all, let alone creative endeavors.
- Although I’ve waned, I strengthened the habit by giving myself permission to write anything.
I still think I can make it.
Although my LA story isn’t going well (as I planned — setting deadlines on non-design creative stuff* hasn’t ever worked for me), I have a few other options I can still finish and publish by the end of the month.
- Tokens of Kindness guidebook + kit
- Untitled Design Book
- Cookbook of some sort
- Collection of short stories
* I realize setting deadlines is part of the process — setting a deadline. I need to write more so I can develop a workflow for these types of projects. I have a blog workflow. I have a paper workflow. I do not, however, have a large creative writing project workflow. I also cannot write without complete attention, and I want to change that (case in point: Mark interrupted while I was typing this and I totally lost my train of thought).
So, that’s where I’m at. After writing this post I’m 280 words closer to 2,000 words for today, so there’s that. 🙂 Wish me luck!
Anybody else working on a creative goal this month?