salad with edamame and peppers // lifeplusrunning.com

Mark's Quick Minestrone

Mark's Quick Minestrone

Ingredients

• 1 medium onion (diced)
  • 3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 t italian spice blend
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 15.5 oz can diced tomatoes + juice
  • 4 small cans of tomato juice (4 oz?)
  • 8 of the same can of water
  • 1 15.5 oz can cannelini beans
  • 1 package frozen veggies (your choice)
  • 2 handfuls spinach
  • pasta of choice

Instructions

1. Heat oil in a large pot.
  2. Add onion and garlic.
  3. Sauté until clear and glossy, but be sure not to burn garlic.
  4. Add the rest of the ingredients, except pasta.
  5. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20-30 minutes if desired (flavors will mingle).
  6. Add pasta and cook until pasta is done.
  7. Serve.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

rice cake with pb and raisins // lifeplusrunning.com

channa masala // lifeplusrunning.com

Edit: Well, almost wordless WIAW. I realized I should include the recipe links for the last two things.

Chana Masala recipe from Smitten Kitchen (used olive oil instead of vegetable oil, added extra garlic, and used fresh jalepeños — with seeds — because that’s how we roll). Also, I realize now that I totally misspelled “chana” on my graphic, though I’ve seen it both ways.

TVP oats // lifeplusrunning.com

TVP oats inspired by Laura of Sprint 2 the Table. I added half an apple, a handful of raisins, pumpkin pie spice, and left out all sweeteners.

I also finally found the magic way to make peanut butter in my little tiny food-prep processor. I was stalking Averie Cooks for cookie recipes for my Whole Foods Cookie Swap board on Pinterest, and she had a handy-dandy tutorial for peanut butter

\\

What did you eat this week?

Thanks to Cassie from Back to her Roots for the photo idea. Now I just need to get better lighting. I live in a dungeon.

Tagged with:

19 Responses to mostly wordless #WIAW [ what i ate wednesday ]

1. I’m working on getting my photos to look better and while it’s easier when it’s light outside, those night time photos are so difficult. I’ll get there one day. ;)

Also that channa masala looks so good! recipe?
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW // Cranberry Sauce Bonanza!My Profile

2. Agree, I would also like the channa masala recipe.

And I know where you’re coming from. I have horrible lighting. Is it weird if I pick out my next apartment by how good of lighting I can get for photos for the blog?
    Alex @ Alex Tries it Out recently posted..WIAW: Mexican-style!My Profile

3. I love Indian food. And Smitten Kitchen.

Thanks for the link back! I’m glad you are able to eat the TVP. :)
    Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Chili-Lime Crab Salad + WIAWMy Profile

• chimes says:

Yes. Any time I need a classic recipe, I usually check Smitten Kitchen.

And I love TVP. It doesn’t bother my stomach. I was kind of freaked about phytoestrogens, and then I did more research on it and whole soy should be fine.

4. Mandikat says:

I am MADLY in love with most of the recipes from Sprint2thetable… And she’s basically my hero (yes, I have more than one hero).

I’d be careful with TVP. It’s basically a chemical-ed up byproduct of soybean oil.. It has some pretty nasty compounds in it that have been known to affect thyroid efficacy.

I hate to be a bubble burster — I used to LOVE the possibilities of TVP.. But when soy isn’t fermented, as far as I’m concerned, it’s not really food. :<

Again, though, eat what makes you feel good!! I'm sure you've got a great connection with your body, and you can likely tell when something is working for you!

• chimes says:

This is what I was afraid of. Bob’s Red Mill is soy flour (no other ingredients) … and what about edamame? And tofu?

• mandikat says:

So, TVP is made form soy isolate, soy protein that’s chemically extracted from defatted soy meal. It is extruded under high pressure and spun into bits or chunks or marketable food-stuffs.. (that’s a quote, because I’m simply not awake enough to synthesize) ..From what I gather, if you don’t feel sick after eating it, it’s probably not awful for you.

I’m definitely not a fan of Tofu. I was concerned about what it contained, so I kept a food log for a while, and found that when I ate it, my cramps got worse, and I was otherwise more emotional (both when PMSing and non-PMSing).

I just read an article saying that edamame isn’t healthy, but I don’t think my little heart can take that right now.

This is kind of a scare-tactic-sounding site, but check this article out: http://www.naturalnews.com/033728_TVP_textured_vegetable_protein.html

Citations needed, but this is likely the worst case scenario.

• chimes says:

YIKES. :/ Bob’s Red Mill says it’s made from soy flour … and now I see that is says “defatted” and all that jazz. Noted. Not eating that anymore.

Yeah, edamame … sigh.

• chimes says:

and thank you so much for mentioning this. that’s why i keep going back and forth on TVP. I did some reading up on it after the initial scare with phytoestrogen content, and i saw that if you’re using the whole bean it should be okay. soy flour is the whole bean. I’m also hoping that if I don’t eat a ton of soy (I used to do soy everything) that it’s probably not the worst thing.

5. What delicious looking meals! Mark’s easy minestrone looks excellent! I’m also a weirdo, and your salad made me a drool. Yes, salads do that to me–I love ‘em. How are your other goals going??? ;)
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Holiday Snack: In-Shell Mixed NutsMy Profile

• chimes says:

thanks for checking in!
      Goals are going pretty well. I was sick a couple days this week, but otherwise I’ve been doing great. I did make some cookies last night after dinner as a test batch for the cookie of the month club, but I only had a couple of them. My weight has already gone down a couple of pounds since i started eating intuitively. i’m hoping to see that trend continue!

yes, that salad was very droolworthy.

6. I would like Mark to come and make me some minestrone.

And you can make me some peanut butter. [How did I end up not having ANY in my house? Just PB2. Weird. Or not weird. Maybe it’s because I OD on it every day if I have it around?]
    Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen recently posted..‘Orange’ You Glad It’s WI(Vitamin)AW?My Profile

• chimes says:

haha i could lend Mark out to you. i’m sure he’d love having a more creative cook than me in the house.

and wtf. no peanut butter? also, i realized I totally didn’t link to the post that i found that gave me the “aha” moment for making nut butter.

7. Everything looks so darn good! I’ve been craving a big green salad loaded with goodies, now after seeing yours, I know I have to add edamame to it!
    Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt recently posted..Things I’m Loving, Meals I AteMy Profile